Corruption of f9 man pages

I notice spreading corruption of f9 fonts. The most recent
example is when I do 'man sshd_conf'. Ever more characters
are being replaced by strangeness as an example below shows.

  AddressFamily
             Specifies which address family should be used by sshd(8).
Valid arguments are âyâetâet6âyâlowAgentForwarding
             Specifies whether ssh-agent(1) forwarding is permitted.
The default is âsâlowGroups

The above is copied directly from the xterm display of 'man sshd_conf'
output. Needless to say, the screwed-up character displays are
complicating my efforts to configure sshd_config across three operating
systems so they will all work with each other using ssh.