Q about installing F10 from Live DVD

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 21:10:28 UTC 2009

 David replied

> if it insists on that, I wasnt prepared for it,
> having only sdb6 i was willing to give to f10.

I wrote about this the other day but I don't recall ever seeing it show up.

First: A Live-CD *does not* install separate packages. A Live-CD writes
itself to your hard similar to the way you burn an ISO to a CD.

It will *erase your harddisk* and then write itself exactly as it is. You
have no choices of anything.

You boot the CD. You are looking at the OS running from memory. You decide
to install it to your harddrive so you click the install icon. It formats
your drive and writes itself to your drive. Exactly as it is on the CD. You
reboot, answer a few questions and you are basically done.

And *whatever* was on the HD before is gone. Period.

The size of the CD it limited but they have put what most people would need.
Anything else you install from the online repos.

All of that aside I would seriously doubt that you could update a Fedora
Core 5 install directly to a Fedora 10 install anyway. Too many years and
too many changes. If you do a fresh install the has been updates since the
Fedora 10 Live-CD was made. Probably another CD full of them.

 David
---------------
>It formats
>your drive and writes itself to your drive.
>Exactly as it is on the CD. You
>reboot, answer a few questions and you are basically done.

yes but that doesnt answer my confusion as to how it chooses
the hard drive or harddrive partition to write on.
and whether it is forcing LVM on me
and whether it is forcing a separate /boot partition.
I have two scsi disks, sda, sdb
I was trying to point it to my sdb6
it clobbered my sda1

Are you saying liveinstallcd will try to
 take over my either my entire sda  or my entire sdb?

> I would seriously doubt that you could update a Fedora
>Core 5 install directly to a Fedora 10 install anyway.

??? this  doesnt make sense to me.
I thot the liveinstall was a fresh install,
nothing to do with "update"

thanks for response
 Jack