Samba and Nautilus

Leland C. Scott lscott130088mi at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 04:02:54 UTC 2009

I've notice that when trying to run Samba from a user account remotely I
don't get the expected login as root request dialog box pop-up. Other
services, that I've tried so far, that require root however do. This is on a
Fedora 10 system. For right now I just changed the menu entry to start the
app in a terminal window using the old su -c "app" trick as a work around.

On another unrelated item. On older versions of Fedora I was always able to
open a terminal window, su to root and then start Nautilus. Nautilus then
runs with root privileges allowing me to move files around and do some other
system tasks without having to screw around with command line utilities. Now
on Fedora 10 Nautilus starts and runs but does not inherit root privileges
when started as root. This is rather annoying behavior and unexpected based
on previous experiences with older versions of the distro.

Other items are several system tasks that pop up a window saying they are
not running from the local console and doing so is assumed to be an error
then clicking the widows clears it and then nothing. I'm running a headless
box, no keyboard - mouse - display. All my access is through VNC on my local
network or tunneled through ssh when I'm away from home. This behavior is
also very annoying too. Assuming you have to be at the console to do some
tasks using the GUI interface ignores people like me who run and administer
there system completely on a remote connection. I don't want to be forced to
use console access.

I would like to suggest that this behavior be changed on future versions. Or
at the very least the configuration can be easily tweaked to allow it after
installation.

Flame proof suit is now on.

Regards,
Leland C. Scott