PackageKit run scheduling?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:31:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 13:11 -0400, Ryan Lynch wrote:
> PackageKit has been driving me nuts, lately.  It will kick off
> installing updates in the middle of the day, while I'm trying to work,
> which drives my load average up to 3 or 4, basically making the
> machine unusable.

Sure, that sucks. You could try changing BackendSpawnNiceValue
in /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf which might help a little.

> Is there a way to control when PackageKit runs?  I'd like to schedule
> it to download and install all updates at 3 AM, every night.

There's not yet a "time" option, although that would be a valid feature
request. Such a time option begs the question about secondary policy,
like what to do if the user specifies updates should be installed at 5AM
and then goes to bed early for two weeks.

> Alternatively, how do I disable PackageKit entirely?

System -> Preferences -> Software updates, although I would prefer you
help us fix the problem, rather than taking that option :-)

Richard.