File server

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Apr 22 20:47:31 UTC 2009

Arun Shrimali wrote, On 04/22/2009 06:19 AM:
> Dear All,
>
> I am planning to set up a server with the following features :
>
> 1.File server where users can save their critical data, in their home directory
> 2.Space allocation for individual user on server (quota for home directory).
> 3.Users could change their own user password.
> 4.Client (PC and User) should authenticate from centralized location.
> 5.No other user / PC should allow to patch in the network.
> 6.Should work for Windows and Linux clients both.
> 7.Restrict users to load unwanted software and play with desktops /
> screen savers and other files (may be through login script).
> 8.Centrally updation of antivirus patches (for windows users).
> 9.Monitor the users and their activity.
> 10.Authenticate for Squid proxy server also.
> 11.Should able to chat through lin/win popup
>
> Can anybody suggest me which directory server (and combination) would
> be suitable for me.
> As I am new to the Linux, it should be a bit user friendly also
>
> regards
>
> Arun

Something I don't see you having in your features/requirements that you should
be asking yourself:
12.how long do I plan on having this machine in service?
    * if the answer is less than 14 months (until ~July 2010), fedora 11 could
be a good distro for you[1].
    * if the answer is more on the order of until ~late March 2014, you should
probably look at RedHat Enterprise Linux[2a], CentOS[2b], or one of the other
Long Term Support (LTS) distros.
    * if you need an LTS distro, but some of the features you want require
fedora 11, you should probably be considering (assuming RHEL 6 follows F11
fairly closely) how and when you could do a cut over from using F11 to
RHEL/CentOS6 [3].

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/Schedule

[2a] http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
[2b]
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-fe8a0be91ee3e7dea812e8694491e1dde5b75e6d

[3] Oh great and powerful oracle fedora-list, is it possible to do an
'upgrade' and go from a fedora to an RHEL, and remain sane, with out the
upgrade being a backup data, wipe and install+restore data? Anyone done it?
howto URLs?

--
Todd Denniston