Effect on ssh of altering target's assigned ip address

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:38:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 17:16 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> After getting ssh to work, I altered the ip addresses of my computers.

How? What exactly did you do? Are these addresses static or assigned by
a DHCP server?

> Now ssh doesn't work and neither does ping, apparently (in the case of
> ping) because my switch doesn't forget ip addresses even after poweroff.

Why do you think there's a problem with ssh if you can't use ping? In
most cases if ping doesn't work, nothing works, assuming pings aren't
being filtered on the way to or from the target. "traceroute <target>"
can be helpful here.

You might also try "arp" to see if the IP<->MAC mapping is correct.

poc