Re: [OT] SSH login script - Help

Dan Track wrote:
2009/4/24 Manuel Aróstegui <manuel todo-linux com>:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 10:12 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I've written a simple for loop see below:
>>
>> for i in orion earth;do scp /etc/hosts /etc;done
>>
>> I have a small scripting knowledge so would appreciate some help. What
>> I'd like to do is somehow change the above so that the script prompts
>> me for a password and when I give the script the password it will use
>> it to auto-reply to any password promtps that scp asks for when
>> logging into all the servers. If I am right I believe readline needs
>> to be used. If it can't be done in bash can you give me a perl
>> alternative please.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Dan
>>
> Hi Dan,
>
> You might want to use autoexpect for that.
>
> This can get you in security problems since you'd need to write your
> password in the script, but as long as you use user and groups perms
> correctly you should kinda safe.
>
> Manuel.

Hi Manuel,

Thankyou for your suggestion, is there any chance of getting the above
scripted by yourself. I've never used autoexpect before. I appreciate
the advice anyway.
If security is not a concern, write a simple script that accepts the password and provides it to sshpass (which isn't packaged for Fedora as it's a huge huge security nightmare): http://freshmeat.net/projects/sshpass/

e.g.:
[sam sam ~]$ export SSHPASS=mypass
[sam sam ~]$ sshpass -e ssh unixdb2-vm
[sam unixdb2-vm ~]$

In your case, you'd want something like "sshpass -e scp /etc/hosts orion:/etc/"

--
Sam