Re: Problems playing .avi files

On 04/24/2009 09:21 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 10:22 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 04/23/2009 10:17 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
-

I am still on F9 and I am having problems playing .avi files.
Can someone offer some suggestions?
vlc can't recognize the format, other programs say the codecs are
missing. So what can I do?
.avi is a packaging format for media files, so it can contain streams
that require an assortment of different codecs. You don't say what
codecs are missing.

poc

Not all programs say the codec is missing. Mplayer reports audio codec
0x56444152 is missing.
vlc and gnome media player seem to run something but you don't see of
hear anything.
xine and Movie player can't recognise the format.

vlc is specifically supposed to work on .avi files , so I am msytified.

Take a look at http://fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#Multimedia_Applications

poc