F10 install: no X server

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sat Apr 25 00:13:33 UTC 2009

On 04/24/2009 04:59:34 PM, lanas wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:09:42 -0400,
> max <maximilianbianco at gmail.com> wrote :
>
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:08:04PM -0400, lanas wrote:
>
> > >   I'm trying to install F10 i386 on a recent dual core ASUS
> > > motherboard with a embedded Nvidia GeForce 8200 and the X server
> > > fails to start.
>
> > This last entry is your video. Which driver are you using? lspci -v
> > will give verbose output.
>
> I've seen a couple of hints about this, so I've used the
> 'xserver=vesa'
> option to proceed with a graphical install and subsequent graphical
> boot.  Then I downloaded the nvidia driver.  And then the system
> would
> not reboot anymore in graphical mode.  Fails to load the driver.
>
> There's a paper calendar on the desk.
>
> I looked at it.
>
> I looked at the year.
>
> 2009.
>
> And I'm trying to figure out a xorg.conf file to get a X server going
> for a distro.  Not even a Linux system I made myself from scratch.
>
> Enough.
>
> Thanks for the reply, but I'll try another distro to see if at least
> it
> has figured out more things for me.  I'd like to use Fedora but
> perhaps
> I'm aiming too high in my expectations of having a working X server
> in
> good resolution after installation (not !)

This is probably too  little, too late, but FWIW ..

The only way that you'll find a disto that runs Nvidia in acceptable
resolution is if you find one that provides closed-source, binary-only
drivers. On my Nvidia-based system, here's what worked for me.

o Download and unpack the Linux _source_ for the Nvidia driver.
o Install kernel-devel for your environment.
o telinit 3
o As root, execute the install script in the Nvidia directory. Don't
let it pick up the pre-compilled binary.
o Reboot.