Re: [OT] SSH login script - Help

Dan Track wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've written a simple for loop see below:

for i in orion earth;do scp /etc/hosts /etc;done

I have a small scripting knowledge so would appreciate some help. What
I'd like to do is somehow change the above so that the script prompts
me for a password and when I give the script the password it will use
it to auto-reply to any password promtps that scp asks for when
logging into all the servers. If I am right I believe readline needs
to be used. If it can't be done in bash can you give me a perl
alternative please.

Is there a benefit from not just using a login key (in authorized keys) to eliminate the need for passwords and also have the security of a single command which could be executed using the key?

I do my backups that way, just passing an argument of full, incr, or config to the remote machine and saving the stdout to a file. Security note: the remote machine is free to compress or encrypt the data, so the machine providing storage need not have access to the data.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>