Detection of 16GB RAM

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:29:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 20:13 +0530, Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does X86_64 FC2(Fedora Core2) detect 16GB RAM ?
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

If the hardware supports it, yes.
Never the less, I'd advise against using FC2 directly.

As I see, you have one of 4 options:

1. Install FC2.
-Huge- security risk.

2. Install RHEL/CentOS 4.7.
Both should be close enough (kernel/libc/etc) to FC2 making them
more-or-less compatible with your software. I wouldn't use to browse the
Internet.

3. Install RHEL/CentOS 5.3 / Fedora 10 (w/ chroot).
Put an image of FC2 in one of the directories (/mnt/FC2) and chroot into
it. You may need to disable SELinux on the host machine.

4. Install Fedora 10. (w/ KVM capable hardware).
Use KVM and run FC2 on virtual machine with a -lot- of memory.

Assuming that you are using a rather new multi-core server and assuming
that your application isn't I/O intensive (E.g. DB server) you should
get near-host performance while keeping your server secure (and
up-to-date).

- Gilboa