Question about upgrading Fedora (from fc6 to FC10)

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 28 19:00:45 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 04:15:07 -0700,
>   Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I had that system my inclination would not be to do an upgrade but to do
>> a clean install of F10.  Before doing so I would backup the user areas and
>> any system config files to a safe drive.  Then after installing F10 I would
>
> I would also recommend a fresh install at this point. However I would consider
> going right to F11. The preview release is out today and not too much is
> supposed to change before the final release.
>
> Most of the stuff you want to back up is in /home, /etc and /var. You might
> also be using /usr/local.

in agreement with above, and in addition, to find your configuration files,
you can use;

 'find / -anewer /root/install.log -print | sort > my.new.files'

to find all files newer than when passwd was built.

then;

 'grep "/etc/" my.new.files > my.new.etc.files'
 'grep "/home/" my.new.files > my.new.home.files'
 'grep "/usr/local/" my.new.files > my.new.usr.local.files'
 'grep "/var/" my.new.files > my.new.var.files'

granted, you will have files created with new dates that you will not want,
but you can go thru 'my.*.files' and edit them out. then you will have a
file/files to use for input to your backup.

after you edit 'my.new.files', or 'my.*.files' you can back up new files
you want to save with;

 'cat my.*.files | cpio -p -adm /path/to/save/to'

see: 'man cat', 'man cpio', 'man find', 'man grep', 'man sort'.

just a suggestion, you may rather use a gui backup program, either way, you
will have to eliminate non configuration files.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****