Fedora 11 very very slow on Athlon DAM 1500+, 1.3 GHz Machine

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Aug 3 19:17:11 UTC 2009

Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried running Fedora 11, with it being only operating system
> installed, and it was too slow for everything.
> The message boxes, applications, games, etc... everything.. took a great
> time to load.
>
> It was installed on Ext4 file system. Is my computer not capable of
> handling that?
> Right now, I run Fedora 10 and there is not any slow down issue.
> Please suggest.

Is the *system* slow, or only the display? Fedora does not use the vendor
drivers for video, but rather the Xorg drivers which for some hardware may
update at a rate only slightly faster that chiseling on stone tablets.

If you installed optional drivers on F10, that why it works at normal speed, F11
uses a version of the kernel for which vendor drivers are not available (as of
the last time I looked).

Other than being really slow and locking up on some display hardware, the new
drivers are fine.

Obviously you may have other issue holding your system back, F11 runs very well
on my two Athlon machines, I don't use graphics much on those machines.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>