Conf File Backup Idea

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Aug 3 20:43:19 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>I didn't realize I was so old, but I used RCS for the same task in
>>the past.  I've gone from cvs to svn to git in the intervening
>>years.
>>

> Overkill for running on one machine.

There's no overkill in using git for things like this.  It's extremely
fast, has amazing disk utilization, is actively developed and
supported, and is used by many, many FOSS projects.  So any time spent
learning git will readily apply to using and contributing to those
projects.

> RCS is just fine for something simple like config, dead reliable.

Sure, if you like its limited command set, RCS dirs littering your
system, and an inability to scale up when you inevitably need more
than what it offers.  Plus, if someone is going to learn a new version
control system these days, spending that time learning RCS can hardly
be considered a good use of time, as the knowledge will only apply to
a rather limited area.

Of course, everyone's free to use the tool they find most suitable. :)

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
    -- Robert Heinlein