GRUB question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Aug 6 16:38:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 09:18 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > personally, I think it is too risky but it's your setup...
> >
> > dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=446 count=1
> >
> > You asked what is the best way, I answered but apparently you don't
> like
> > best way answers.
> >
> > Craig
> No... it's not that I don't like "your" 'best way answers',
> as it appears either way works (grub-install &| dd).  What
> I like about the dd-way is the ability to do backups but
> what the heck, maybe that is not even needed. ;)
----
I think that it would be foolish to expect the transfer to work without
having the appropriate 'rescue' boot disk just in case and if you have
the 'rescue' boot disk, then the best way is always the safe way.

There is no way to be sure that the boot partition references on one
hard drive matches the boot partition references on another drive if the
drives are copied with gparted.

if you were going to just copy old drive to new drive with dd, then it
would take care of all of this for you but now you want to mix
methodologies then the best way to fix grub is 'grub-install'

Craig

believed to be clean.