auto-updates

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Aug 7 14:01:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:58:32 -0600
Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com> wrote:

> I take the lack of responses to my questions about the
> software updater as being "no".  Am I the only one bothered
> by this Microsoftification (no status info, no control,
> no documentation, you users just sit back, be happy, and
> we will manage your machine for you)?  I came to Linux to
> get away from that kind of stuff.

Just wanted to add, that for most people, this is exactly what they
want.  Microsoft is very successful giving people 60% of the benefit
with 10% of the effort.  If you use your computer as an appliance, a
tool to do other things, that can be perfectly adequate.  I don't have a
problem with providing that ease of use, as long as the choice is there
for those who don't want it that way.  On linux, the choice is there.