2.6.29.6-217.2.3 - Unresolved symbols error messages during make modules_install

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Aug 8 14:32:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:13:30 -0700
Markus Kesaromous <remotestar at live.com> wrote:

> Dear list, I posed this problem before, but since it was in an
> unsupported driver (staging area), it wade clear to all that no
> support or bug fix was/were forthcoming. However, I am getting a
> similar issue with several other mdules. Below are the error messages
> only. As before, when I configured this kernel, I disabled all smp
> features for my uniproc and unicore cpu.
>

> # make install modules_install
> sh /sdb3/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.29/linux-2.6.29.i586/arch/x86/boot/install.sh
> 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 arch/x86/boot/bzImage System.map "/boot"
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko
> needs unknown symbol pci_disable_msi

>From Documentation/PCI/MSI-HowTo.txt in kernel source
In SMP environment, CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC is automatically set;
however, in UP environment, users must manually set
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC. Once CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y, setting
CONFIG_PCI_MSI enables the VECTOR based scheme and the option for
MSI-capable device drivers to selectively enable MSI/MSI-X.
If the only config option you changed was SMP, this *should* fix your
problems.  However, it has been my experience that dependencies such as
this between kernel configuration options, while rare, exist, so you might
run into a similar problem with something else.