F11: LiveCD problems

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Aug 11 18:05:28 UTC 2009

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Tim<ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 15:35 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>>> But it could not locate:
>>>
>>> /dev/sda1-15  (Seagate 1TB SATA disk) [Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian] (BRAND
>>> NEW)
>>>
>>> The 1TB drive already has F8 & F9 installed.
>>>
>> Can you say what SATA hardware you have?  Someone with the same chipset
>> may have advice.
>>
> SATA has a maximum partition limit of 15.
> How many partitions did you create on sda1?

That was part of the problem.  I had to re-arrange the
partitions so that I now have 15 partitions. I have created
empty ext3 partitions reserved for F11, Debian5, and Ubuntu9
so I will see if I can proceed again and see if that helps.

I was surprised that SATA = SCSI which has a limit of
15 partitions total (which includes primary partitions),
whereas IDE can have up to 63 partitions.