naive live USB question

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:05:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM, David L wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 09:23:00AM -0700, David L wrote:
>>> I recently took a f11 live USB stick and used it to install
>>> f11 on a second USB stick (my hard drive crashed and I
>>> decided to temporarily just use a USB stick for a hard
>>> drive... that worked amazingly well by the way, but I
>>> digress).  I was wondering why the live USB creation process
>>> can't just create the result of this process... ie, make
>>> the stick look like a normal disk instead of the "persistent
>>> overlay" thing?
>>
>> Not a naive question, but I guess the answer is, you don't need the
>> Live USB creation process to do that -- you can just install to a USB
>> key using the standard installer.  The Live USB process grew out of
>> the Live CD case, because it's a way to use one image in two different
>> types of media.  If you want a bootable stick that's simply a piece of
>> media like a hard disk, you can do that with Anaconda at any time,
>> booting either your system or a VM guest with boot or installation
>> media, and then installing to the USB key.
>
> IMHO, it would be nice if that process was done by the fedora
> folks and the resulting USB image was provided along with the
> live images.  That way, somebody that wanted a bootable USB
> would have a choice of the live CD image (which seems to have
> some vestigial organs as a result of its evolution from Live CD)
> or a file that could simply be dd'd onto a USB stick.  You could
> even have different sizes with a different number of packages
> for different size USB sticks.

Hmmm... I think I found something like what I'm talking about on
the fedora 12 release notes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes#Hybrid_ISO_images_-_Simple_and_Easy_Live_USB.27s

Is that what I'm talking about or is it just an easier way to get
the identical image onto a USB?

Thanks,

             David