Local cache / 'repo' of updates and added RPM's

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 20:30:14 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 23:32:48 +0530,
>  Jay Mistry <jaylinux53 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had to re-install Fedora 10 on a home desktop PC. In regard to this:
> >
> > Is it possible to have a local cache/ "repository" of all
> > 1) Updates (Critical, Security, Bug-fixes), and
> > 2) Additional installed rpm's (that were installed through PackageKit),
> e.g.
> > Opera, Adobe Reader, etc.
> > so that I do not have to download all those again (800 MB + D/L)
>
> Sure. Just put the rpms of interest in a directory, run createrepo on the
> directory and set up an appropriate repo description in
> /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo for some value of *.
>
> For myself I usually mirror the relevant arch parts of updates and
> updates-testing and only put a few special things in a local repo.

Thanks for the reply.

Are they to be copied from /var/cache/yum to the dir that is to be used as
local repo ? On my PC (this is a non-networked desktop PC), this directory
has:
/fedora/packages/ & /updates/packages - both newly-created after I started
the Update applet.

I Googled for this for Fedora Linux, but mostly the results refer to
networked PC's.

Jay
--
Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04  (i686)