Updating methods

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Aug 15 18:33:32 UTC 2009

	I've been dutifully updating my own machines with gpk-update-
viewer; but ssh -X for some reason doesn't seem to handle it well when I
update my wife's, on another floor. So, rather than bite off more
troubleshooting than I can hope to chew, I've just gone back to plain ssh
to my userid on her machine, then su - , then yum clean all followed by
yum update.

	This practice rubs my nose in all the reboots that PackageKit
keeps demanding, since yum never does. They're very irritating, since I
always have things in process on my own machines waiting for me to get
the proper round tuits -- and many of those, such as instances of Dillo,
do not survive rebooting.

	Would somebody please explain to me, again, in words of one
syllable, why we're putting up with all the un-Linux-like rebooting? What
am I gaining on my machines, or losing on hers??