Recompile kernel without SMP

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Aug 16 02:16:40 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Paul Grinberg on 08/14/2009 11:37 AM wrote:
>> I am trying to recompile kernel without SMP.
>
> No need to recompile. Add "nosmp" to your kernel command line on bootup.

You can set maxcpu=1 as well, but it will still be an SMP kernel, with the
assorted logic which keeps processors from stepping on each other. It will make
a small (essentially meaningless) performance improvement on a uniprocessor
machine, to quote myself "measurable but not meaningful" in magnitude.

This was important when we ran on 386-16 CPUs with 8MB RAM, it means essentially
nothing now, other than he should be able to do it.

Stupid question #1: you did look in grub.conf to see that you are booting the
right kernel? That your new kernel is even in grub.conf?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>