Virtual Hosts

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 16 04:20:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 23:04 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> I have several virtual hosts that I just configured on my server, and
> now I have seemed to break my webmail ability.
>
> I used to be able to type in www.domain.ca/webmail and get a login,
> however I now get a forbidden page.

Did you really use *that* domain?  It's a real domain.  Don't just fake
up domains without thought (for use on LANs, or in email examples).

[tim at suspishus ~]$ dig domain.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> domain.ca
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;domain.ca.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
domain.ca.		60	IN	A	198.66.247.103

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
domain.ca.		86400	IN	NS	ns1.secure.net.
domain.ca.		86400	IN	NS	ns2.secure.net.

Do you have a working domain server?  Are you using hosts files?  Are
the hosts files set up properly?  I see lots of people doing daft things
with their hosts files (such as putting their own domain names onto the
local loopback address lines), then wondering why things go wrong later
on.

> Do I need to create a webmail virtual host to get this to work again?

Can't tell without knowing your configuration, before and after the
problem.
--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686