HDA Intel sound card problem

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 09:13:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday 15 August 2009 23:54:42 dariusz rojewski wrote:
> 2009/8/15 Fennix <cn.stefan at gmail.com>
>
> > On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM, dariusz rojewski <darekr at pld-
linux.org>wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>

> >> You could try installing gst-mixer (yum install gst-mixer) and verify
> >> the
> >
> > settings there.  For Fedora 10 from initial install until recently in
> > Fedora 11 I was having no-end of trouble with Intel sound.  I saw a
> > message here where someone suggested installing this program and and
> > running it I found my pcm settings set to 0 (though my alsa and pulse
> > audio controls always showed that my pcm channel was set to 100%).  I am
> > not sure why I could not solve this with the existing pre-installed tools
> > but you could try this... Best of luck,
> > Fennix
>
> Thanks, but i've already tried it. pcm is set to 100%.

Maybe totally unrelated, but since my soundcard is Intel ICH6 there could be
some correlation.

When I installed F11 (KDE desktop) no sound apps were working.  I tried some
Gnome apps, and some of them did work.  It turned out to be a matter of which
audio backend different applications need.  I don't know where you set it in
Gnome, but in KDE it's in systemsettings > Multimedia > Backend tab.

On this laptop it was set to xine and changing it to gstreamer got things
working again.

Anne