(no subject) was "FAQ on

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 18 05:04:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 20:16 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> A friend of mine pokes fun at me because I use Fedora linux and he
> tells me that nobody gives a sh*t about it and that is why it does not
> get attacked by hackers, virii, spyware, adware, trojan horse, ...,
> etc as much as Micro$oft Windows does.  This is hard to swallow, but I
> tell him that I like Fedora and Linux Distros in general and I dont
> mind the being in the 1% category.  He says 99% of the world uses M$
> and you are in the rare type that uses Linux.  But I can live with
> that.

I, and many others, use it precisely because it is not Windows.  The day
it clones it, is the day we find something else to use.

It does what we tell it to.  We can find out how it works.  We can
change how it works.  We can fix the problems.  We can customise it.
We're not slaves to malware and anti-malware software.  We're not slaves
to lock-in and data kidnapping by proprietary data formats (I've
personally experienced lock-out of data when programs have become
unavailable).  We don't have to pay ten times over to install it on ten
computers.  We don't have to pay ten times over because ten different
people access the same computer.  We don't have systems that
artificially restrict the number of users that can use it at the same
time.  It's a damn sight more reliable...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.