A good desktop Wi-Fi card for Fedora 10

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 22 16:39:43 UTC 2009

William M. Quarles wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 15:52 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:
>>> it conflicts with my Sigma Designs REALMagic Hollywood Plus DVD/MPEG-2
>>> decoder card
>>
>> Have you tried the obvious of moving the cards between slots.  Some
>> conflicts are just because of shared IRQs (some slots share IRQs with
>> other slots, or other on-board hardware).
>>

> Yes, and I have also tried reassigning the IRQs with the BIOS to fully
> make sure that they don't conflict. I still could not get them to work
> together, so I am pretty sure that it is not an IRQ problem. Neither
> OS locks up until it has loaded the drivers for both cards.

i would suggest that you look at wireless Ethernet bridges. I have three
of them on our home LAN and they are the simplest to configure, no
drivers needed. I have some brand new PCI card adapters still in the
boxes, gave up on them long ago.

The Ethernet bridges are configured from your browser. I have one from
Linksys and two from Buffalo, the latest  "Nfiniti wireless-N dual Band
Ethernet controller" according to the box which I am looking at as I
type this. Set one up and you can plug any computer into it, as I said
no drivers to install, and in fact I have three computers and a laser
printer connected to the four ports on this newest one.

My 2¢ worth.

Bob