FC11 - flash plugin for Firefox

Ryan Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:02:19 UTC 2009

> If someone knows of another flash plugin that does not have
> this problem, please let me know.

I know of two other options for Flash support under FF on Linux, but both
are worse than Adobe's plugin, in my experience:

 * gnash:  Youtube video and sound work.  Many other flash sites fail.
 * swfdec:  Youtube video works, but I get no audio.  Many other flash sites
fail.

I think the problem is that neither gnash nor swfdec support Flash 10
features--I don't know whether 10 represents a new file format, or just some
extensions.  When the Adobe plugin is installed, FF's about:plugins page
lists both Shockwave 9 and Shockwave 10 support, while it only shows 9 with
gnash/swfdec.

If you want to try them, do a 'yum remove flash-plugin' and then do (for
gnash) `yum install gnash gnash-plugin`, or (for swfdec) do `yum install
swfdec swfdec-gtk swfdec-mozilla gstreamer-ffmpeg`.  I don't know what
happens when both are installed at once, you could certainly try it.  Make
sure to restart FF after installing a new plugin, too.

I'm running F11 x86-64, so it's a little different from your setup.  Maybe
you will get better results than I did.  Good luck.

-Ryan