Is RPMfusion on strike? [SOLVED -- at least for me]

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Mon Aug 24 04:36:48 UTC 2009

> Hi;
>
> To whom it may concern:
>
>> > If you got that from RPMfusion, it's from the
>> > rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing repo.
>>
> Yes it was.

>> I am not sure whether it came from the rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing
>> repo or not.  In frustration, at one point I might have downloaded it
>> from the testing repo.
>>

> As a warning to others and a good lesson(s) relearned:
>
> 1) in an attempt to solve another unrelated problem I enabled
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing repo.  I forgot to disable it
> afterwards.
>
> 2) later when I went looking for a kmod-nvidia driver, the driver from
> testing showed up.  Without reading carefully, and thinking it was the
> latest stable driver, I installed it.  From there on everything went
> wonky.

> I.E. Pay attention to what you are doing!

I'm trying :) But I never enabled rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing, and I
installed the new update for kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64.

First time I rebooted, boot stopped, just where it used to with -217.2.7:
"r8169: eth0: link up" . I checked if there was any akmod left to mess
things up and all I found was /var/cache/akmods. I supposed this was
unrelated, but I deleted it just the same. Now, the boot process stops at
"atd".