Is RPMfusion on strike? [SOLVED -- at least for me]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Aug 25 17:20:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 02:04 +0500, gilpel at altern.org wrote:

> >> I'm trying :) But I never enabled rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing, and
> >> installed the new update for kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64.
> >>
> >> First time I rebooted, boot stopped, just where it used to with
> >> -217.2.7:
> >> "r8169: eth0: link up" . I checked if there was any akmod left to mess
> >> things up and all I found was /var/cache/akmods. I supposed this was
> >> unrelated, but I deleted it just the same. Now, the boot process stops
> >> at
> >> "atd".
> >
> > If you are trying to restore a pristine F11 system, don't forget to
> > remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> An xorg.conf that was exactly the same was written.

No surprise there, if you are still working with the nvidia drivers.  If
you want to get rid of them and drop back to nouveau until it's all
working again, there need not be an xorg.conf.

> > Again, any messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages
> > or /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
>
> Yes this one, in dmesg:
>
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has version 185.18.31 but this kernel
> module has version 185.18.14
>
> If I boot with kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64 and I uninstall/install
> kmod-nvidia, I still get version 185.18.14.
>
> If I boot with kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.9.fc11.x86_64 and I uninstall/install
> kmod-nvidia, will I get version 185.18.31 ?

Apparently, you will until we get this straightened out.  Right now,
unless you are testing, nothing should be 185.18.31.

> BTW, when I booted and could get nowhere, I opened a terminal and tried to
> see the messages that had gone by. Shift + PageUP used to give access to
> previous boot screens in Linux. What is it in Fedora?

I wouldn't think it had changed, though I think I've noticed that it
doesn't always work very far back.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences