Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Aug 26 02:11:31 UTC 2009

>> it just causes all
>> sorts of bottlenecks as applications try to use something that's just
>> not going to work.
>>

>This is a myth and it needs to die. I've programmed a few IPv6 capable
>apps and there is no performance hit from having IPv6 functionality on
>non-IPv6 capable networks.

No its not. Some apps bind to the ipv6 loopback for example in error and
this causes delays. Others try to lookup/use addresses in that protocol
and need to timeout.

You might be assuming that everyone codes applications properly for every
conceivable circumstance encountered:)

It's another argument whether or not that's Fedora's fault for enabling it
and I won't get into that pissing contest. Since none of my networks use it
I simply make a point to disable it as part of all other required config
when I roll out a system.

jlc