Firewall and nfs mounts

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Wed Aug 26 18:41:02 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote, On 12/23/-28158 02:59 PM:
> On Tuesday 25 August 2009 00:16:28 Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Thanks.  That's something to work on.  Although I have had a working
>>> firewall in the past, I'm not really familiar with iptables setup.  Since
>>> a gui tool was provided I expected it to do the necessary (this is
>>> system-config- securitylevels on CentOS) but it doesn't.  I used
>>> shorewall to set up my firewall long ago, and I'm beginning to think I
>>> might be better of seeing if there's a package for CentOS.  Gui tools
>>> seem nice, but I don't like the fact that they rarely tell you what the
>>> are and aren't doing.
>> When it comes to a shorewall package for CentOS or RHEL you can enable
>> the EPEL repository https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>>
> Thanks, Ed.  I should be able to get to that tomorrow.  The thing is that I
> only want nfs across the lan.  The router would stop any external attempts to
> use nfs mounting, so it seems to me that trusting the local zone might be all
> that's needed.  I think that is straightforward, IIRC, in shorewall.
>
> Anne

Anne,
If you are using NFS V2/3 instead of 4 (TCP) then the following might be as useful to you as it was
to me. :)
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3259

Of course if you had time/inclination you would be using something other than the 10000-10005 range
where everyone will now be looking for your NFS, if they could only find a way to get past your
router. :)

--
Todd Denniston