MythTV vs php

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Aug 27 16:42:28 UTC 2009

On 08/27/2009 12:24 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I'm surprised, as I have a pcHDTV-5500 running in my system....
>>
>> The card can only be used for either NTSC or ATSC, but it can be
>> switched between when the other is not in use.  I have used it to view
>> OTA and now clearQAM cable with only a re-configuration in MythTV.
>
> That cable is yet another modulation standard, and I wasn't aware that the
> ATSC code could function with QAM rather than 8VSB.  Or maybe that is one of
> the diffs between my -3000 and your -5500?

Uh, no, it shouldn't be.  ATSC is the encompassing standard, it
*includes* either QAM or 8VSB.  AFAIK, both PCHDTV boards support both
QAM[64/128/256] and 8VSB.  But, only 1 at a time.  You have to specify
the signal type to scan for when you do the scan.  Originally, I had
mine setup for OTA (8VSB).  Then, after my cable went digital only, I
connected it to my cable, and I rescanned as QAM-256.

According to the pcHDTV.com WWW site, they have a firmware download for
PC-2000 and PC-3000 cards which support

> This firmware supports ATSC and QAM on the HD-3000 and ATSC on the HD-2000.

So, it seems that with the right firmware, your HD-3000 should do either
8VSB and QAM.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com