help

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 17:23:06 UTC 2009

> > Yet another reason that Network Manager needs to go away. It's a
> giant PITA.

This is not very helpful. And if you want to make it go away, why not
just uninstall it, or just turn it off?

On 08/27/2009 01:09 PM, Brian Bentley wrote:
> I have ubuntu 8.1 on my laptop and installed fedora 11 on my desktop.
> I checked all my settings on fedora against ubuntu and they are the
> same. fedora says there is a connection but firefox says it is unable
> to locate the server and system update says problem connecting to
> software source. is there a command I can issue in the terminal that
> will allow internet access. I am not real famlar with terminal
> commands. Thanks.

There might be such a command, but we won't know until we know what the
problem is.

Check the IP address you are getting from Ubuntu (use /sbin/ifconfig, if
you like). The address you are showing, 192.168.2.2, is a "local" IP,
which you should only get if you have a router. The interesting question
is not whether the IPs are exactly the same, but whether the Ubuntu one
is also in the 192.168.2.* range. If it is not, then for some reason
Fedora is not getting an IP. If it is, then

Become root, and post the output of:
      grep NetworkManager < /var/log/messages
Post the output of "/sbin/route", too, and also "cat /etc/resolv.conf"
while you're at it. For both Ubuntu and Fedora.

rh

PS Post things to the list. Someone else might see better than I will
what the problem is.