add an extra ip address to fedora server (one net card)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 28 03:11:30 UTC 2009

online.service.com at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I like to add an extra ip address to my fedora server. But here is my
> ifcfg-eth0 file in under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> TYPE=Ethernet
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> there is no IPADDR field. Where possibly i can find "IPADDR" gets defined?
>

> Thanks!

The reason there is not IPADDR is because you are using DHCP to get
the IP address, as well as things like the netmask, DNS information,
and gateway. This makes it hard to add a second address. The usual
way to do it is with a static address, and using an alias to eth0
for the second address. (eth0:1)

Mikkel