add an extra ip address to fedora server (one net card)

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Fri Aug 28 03:46:13 UTC 2009

online.service.com at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks all,
>
> I will have two static ips as 77.78.8.111 and 77.78.8.89
>
> I will have this configure:
>

> DEVICE=eth0:0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=77.78.8.111
> BROADCAST = ???????
> NETWORK=????
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> ONBOOT=yes
>

> and
>
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=77.78.8.89
> BROADCAST = ??????
> NETWORK=????
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> ONBOOT=yes
>

> What value would for BROADCAST and NETMASK ?
>

> Thanks again
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Clint Dilks
> <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz <mailto:clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>> wrote:
>
>     online.service.com <http://online.service.com>@gmail.com
>     <http://gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I like to add an extra ip address to my fedora server. But
>         here is my ifcfg-eth0 file in under
>         /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory
>
>         DEVICE=eth0
>         BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>         TYPE=Ethernet
>         ONBOOT=yes
>
>         there is no IPADDR field. Where possibly i can find "IPADDR"
>         gets defined?
>

>         Thanks!
>
>     This indicates you are getting an address via DHCP.
>
>     In order to setup a second interface you can either use
>     system-config-network and look at setting up an alias. Or manually
>     convert
>
>     //etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 and
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1 making sure that the
>     files contain the information that you need.
>
>     The Link below seems to be a good example of what needs to be done.
>
>     http://www.xenocafe.com/tutorials/linux/redhat/bind_multiple_ip_addresses_to_single_nic/index.php
>

>     ///
>
>     --

Hi,

What I suggest you do is have your system configured as it was via DHCP
and then use the command ifconfig eth0 to see what the broadcast and
network are being set to.  Then modify your configuration to match.

Ideally if you don't understand this already you should talk to the
person who setup the DHCP server on your network to make sure you are
doing things correctly.  If the DHCP server is being provided by a home
router that no one has set up for you previous and you move to static
addresses it is likely that you will have to configure NAT manually on
your home router to get things working correctly.

Good Luck