Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 11:43:23 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 10:53:56 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> > > NO WE ARE NOT!  Please!! I asked for a few hours sleep before searching
> > > for what was needed to enable it.  It definitely works on my laptop.
> >
> > OK - I get testy before breakfast.
> >
> > I'd forgotten how I did it.  You may remember that I said a long time ago
> > that you could do it in Activities, but not in desktops.  Now you combine
> > the two.
> >
> > Use the desktop cashew to zoom out > create an Activity for each desktop
> > that you want - IOW 4 desktops = 4 Activities >  Configure each Activity
> > with the wallpaper you want.  Go back to your first Activity and zoom in
> > - you are back where you started.
> >
> > Now go to each desktop, zoom out, set one Activity to use that desktop,
> > zoom in.  Do this for each desktop.  Now you can use your desktops just
> > as you always did, but each has settings that are independent of each
> > other.
> >
> > Takes a few minutes to set up, but from then on it's as easy as it always
> > was.
>
> Well, now I have a new problem.  I have three desktops that each have a
> different image on the background.  This is good.  My fourth desktop also
> has a different image on it (again, this is good), BUT all the plasmoids
> have dissappeared from it!
>
> Actually, it is more like this:
> Desktop 1: All the plasmoids have dissappeared.
>
> Desktop 2: All the plasmoids remain on the desktop, but in different
> positions and different sizes.
>
> Desktop 3: one of the plasmoids has actually become the size of the entire
> desktop (with no way to resize it) and the other plasmoids are still there,
> and can be resized and moved around just like a "normal" plasmoid.
>
> Desktop 4: Same as Desktop 2
>
> OK, I just discovered that one of the desktops had been changed to "Folder
> View" (That would have been Desktop 3)  So, after changing that back to
> "Desktop View", Desktops 2, 3 & 4 now have all the original plasmoids.
> Unfortunately, like mentioned above, they were randomly rearranged, and I
> will also have to resize them.
>
> Desktop 1 still is nothing but a blank image.  All the plasmoids had
> dissappeared.
>
> Anyway, I need to get to work now :)

They are now Activities, not simple Desktops.  Before, plasmoids were on all
desktops, but if you want your desktops for different purposes you probably
neither need nor want all on every desktop.  Activities are independent.  On
each desktop place the plasmoids that fit the kind of work you do on that
desktop. :-)

Anne