help

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Aug 28 12:03:13 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> I installed fedora 11 and I can't get online. It detects the Internet
>> connection and says it is established but firefox will not connect
>> neither will the system update. Is there something I need to do in the
>> terminal to make it go online. I have a dsl connection. I had to revert
>> back to ubuntu to get online. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
> This sounds like a dns problem.  Right-click on the network icon in your
> system tray, and choose Edit Connection.  You should then see your
> connection,
> probably (but not necessarily) as eth0.  Highlight it and choose Edit.  On
> the
> IPV4 tab you need an entry.  In most cases you can simply give it the
> address
> of your adsl router or modem - often 192.168.1.1.  What that does is tell
> your application to go through the router or modem and ask your ISP to
> resolve the addresses you give it.

Although all this seems sensible to me,
I am a bit surprised none of you gurus has suggested using "ping".
I would start by pinging my ISP, if possible using the IP address.
To me, the first question would be, "Are my packets leaving the house?"
If I determined that they were, I would think to myself,
"So it's a pretty simple issue then, probably something to do with DNS,
or maybe DHCP."
If I found the packets were not leaving my house,
I would be much less sanguine.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net