Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 28 18:03:03 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Friday 28 August 2009 16:22:33 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> If only there were zoom buttons for both directions, there doesn't appear
>> to be a zoom in, only out to ever smaller muti-images, all the same pix
>> until it crashes.
>
>Use the Magnifying glass with a + on it.

Both magnifying glasses available from a click on the cashew have a - sign in
them.  Once that is done once or twice, for even smaller images, I can see
the launcher plasmoid on the upper left version of the correct background
pix, which only shows on two of the mini-screens I can see on screen 0 now.
The plasmoid is also there, but it mostly hidden in a black and white menu
overlay that hasn't even got a zoom button on it.  The menu overlays choices
are:

Lock Widgets
Shortcut Settings
Add activity
Zoom out
Configure Plasma

Having zoomed out twice, I now have what looks like ten mini screens, 2
columns maybe 5 high, but the bottom two are cut off by the bottom of the
screen, but only 8 are actually configured in another menu.  And only two of
those are showing the selected pix, the top 2 in the left column.  And the
second one does not have the plasmoid launcher.

And of course, without a zoom _in_ function, there is no exit other than
ctl+alt+bkspc & then to re startx.

Hell of a way to run a train, what am I going to have  to do, remove kde and
reinstall it?  If that is what it takes, I'll bet the farm on amanda, and
switch distros, possibly to 64 bit centos5.3.

Or depend on amanda for recovery and install centos5.3?  This install, with
its broken disk partitioner has been strangely problematic several times, but
I found the reason for some of the instability last week, memtest86 made me
rotate & reseat the dram sticks, and now all is well in that dept again.

I have been a faithful redhat fan since RH5.1, but this fedora, with its
purposely broken printing and audio ever since it was spun off, will be the
straw that breaks this old camels back.  We, with our bug reports, help RH
make the paid version as stable as a rock, but I'm tired of jumping through
the hoops, and info purposely being with held that prevents those of us who
_can_ run an editor and fix or improve it.

A prime example of that is this weeks thread, repeated at 2 or 3 week
intervals, asking just where the hell pulse is started so they can disable it
once and for all and have reliably working sound again.  All we get there is
obfuscation, & maybe its here or there for an answer.

>Also, I sent another post with an ealier way, but it never seems to have
> made it to the list (the same info did, in another list).  What it said
> was:

I can also comment on this mail server, there are times when my posts either
disappear outright, or are any where up to 36 hours coming back.  I can post
to lkml and it comes back in 90 seconds maximum, the period of fetchmails
scan set here.  This server either needs more iron, or is at best, miss-
configured.  Today so far, its working fairly well, my posts are at least
coming back in 10 to 15 minutes.  Lets check, its is 14:02:55 local time
right now.

>Quicker way - and, I think, the way that I did it:
>
>http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/4.3#How_can_I_use_virtual_desktops_as_ac
>tivities_.3F
>
>Anne

This is with kde-4.3?