How to install Fedora-12?

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Dec 1 14:26:20 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 09:16 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Once the kernel boots, it will see the USB drive as long as the USB
>> and USB storage modules are build into initrd.img. Once the kernel
>> and the initial ramdisk are loaded, you are no longer using the BIOS
>> for access.
>
> But if I click on "Install on Hard Disk",
> won't it look on the hard disk where vmlinuz and initrd have been copied
> for the data to download?

No. Remember, the file system from the live CD is a compressed file
system. It is the uncompressed, working version of the file system
that is copied. If it just copied the compressed image, then updates
would quickly become a problem. You can not write to the compressed
file system, and using a persistent overlay, like you do when
running from the USB stick, is not a good option.

Mikkel