KVM reboot fails

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Dec 1 14:50:08 UTC 2009

All,

    I have been searching google for about two weeks, and looking over
everything else and I just can't figure this out, so I am polling on the
greater combined experience of the list to help me out with this.

    I have recently set up a virtual machine under KVM, which runs fine
on my system. The problem is, I can't reboot the system, nor can it
reboot itself. The Guest is running Windows 2008 Standard, and instead
of shutting down, or rebooting, after it is all done, it goes to a
BSOD,  which only happens when it is trying to reboot. If I try to do
this from virsh I get the error:

libvir: error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
virDomainReboot

The host running the VM's is fedora 9 64 bit edition, that I haven't
gotten around to upgrading yet (patch management is EOL, or very close
to EOL, so upgrading is something I have been working on getting done)
virsh is version 0.5.1 and qemu-kvm is version 0.9.1 (kvm-65).

Outside of sucking it up and upgrading, which is what I figure would
need to be done, I would like to try to understand why this is having a
problem. If I can fix this, I can take my time and fix other issues that
are preventing me from upgrading properly instead of being rushed.

Thanks in advance,
Seann