errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 2 15:41:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:11 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:

> I had (and now have restored) F12 (x86_64) working with the nouveau
> driver. I have been watching for the nvidia drivers to make it into the
> RPMfusion repo and they have now done so  and last night I installed the
> 173 legacy driver (as required for my ancient graphics card!) Result -
> plymouth intro followed by black screen.

I had a similar problem when trying to install the Nvidia drivers
manually, downloaded from nvidia.com. It would always fail trying to
load the kernel module. This (I think) is because the nouveau module was
already loaded and had grabbed the video card. This, annoyingly,
happened even if I turned off "rhgb" and booted single user. I finally
had to boot with "nomodeset" and "3" to get it to boot without nouveau
loaded, after which I could finally get the Nvidia driver to install.
(The Nvidia driver will also not install if you are in single user mode,
hence the "3").

--Greg