CD drive difficulty

I'm just finishing installing F12 XFCE and encountered a problem
with the CD drive: When I push the eject button, the tray is first
extended fully outward and then is immediately retracted. I'm
reasonably certain that this is not a hardware problem, but rather
is some sort of misconfiguration issue.

Some background: The CD/DVD drive was installed a few weeks ago as a
replacement for one that would no longer burn DVDs; it seems to be in
good shape. This is a multiboot installation, and the drive performs
properly on the other partitions, including one running F12 KDE and
another with F11 XFCE.

Any help that you can offer will be appreciated.

-- cmg