No system-config-display ?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Dec 5 09:56:37 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

>    I just installed [yum] system-config-display and get the following
>    message when I try to use it:
>
>        [bobg at box9 ~]$ system-config-display
>
>        (xconf.py:4947): Gdk-WARNING **: DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID contains
>        invalid UTF-8
>        Traceback (most recent call last):
>           File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 376,
>        in <module>
>             dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state,
>        xconfig, rhpxl.videocard.VideoCardInfo())
>           File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py",
>        line 641, in __init__
>             if len(self.xconfig.layout[0].adjacencies) > 1:
>        IndexError: index out-of-bounds
>
>    All I want to do is determine what display parameters I am using?
>
>    What's wrong here?
>
>    Bob

Well...FWIW, it works here fine on a fully updated F12 in both KDE and
GNOME sessions.  The GNOME session does have the following set....

[gnomer at f12 ~]$ env | grep DESK
IMSETTINGS_INTEGRATE_DESKTOP=yes
DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome
GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated

Maybe you should check yours and see if there is another environment
variable of DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID set with some weird characters?

Ed

--
If people drank ink instead of Schlitz, they'd be better off. -- Edward
E. Hippensteel [What brand of ink? Ed.] Guess Who!