Getting rid of /boot

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:41:59 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 December 2009 02:27:34 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> writes:
> > And I was just about to ask what exactly is broken downstream... :-) I've
> > been driving several Fedora versions on several machines for several
> > years now with a custom-partitioned disks (simple setups, typically just
> > swap, / and /home, no LVM or anything such), and nothing "downstream"
> > seemed broken, ever.
> >
> > AFAICS, it is completely safe to not use LVM if you know you won't be
> > resizing partitions afterwards. And life is simpler if the hard drive
> > starts dying or something... ;-)
>
> Did you get selinux working or did you just turn it off in frustration
> becauce putting thing in non-default places broke the stock selinux
> policies?

I rarely ever put files in non-default places. And when I do, SELinux yells at
me, but then it is typically a matter of one chcon and one semanage command to
make the whole thing legal and persistent. It does not take any more work than
fixing ordinary Linux permissions when putting things in non-default places.
And there is setroubleshoot which basically tells you exactly what commands to
execute.

I can only wish for a similar tool to tell me "do a chmod 755 some.file and
chown -R myuser.thatgroup /thosefiles if you want to grant access to whatever
you are doing". Basically the only thing one can see is a "permission denied"
message in the prompt or a pop-up window, and I have to figure out myself how
to fix it. SELinux is more user-friendly in this respect. :-)

Of course, whenever I do something like this, I take a couple of minutes to
get educated what exactly I'm doing and why. Over time, I learned how to deal
with it with less and less effort.

Best, :-)
Marko