Getting rid of /boot

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 21:24:39 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> If you know how to make the 'installer' partition a drive according to your
> wishes without its refusing to accept say a 400 Mbyte /boot partition, or
> demanding that /root & /var MUST live on /, then please write up a
> downloadable, printable PDF on how to do that since that data to guide one
> around the fedora imposed toll gates is not available during the install.  Do
> so, let us know where it can be pulled from and I will gladly, gleefully kill
> a tree.  And should we ever meet, the first 3 are on me. ;)

This sounds like you've been doing your installs from a Live CD, where
your options are indeed quite limited.  The installation CD set or DVD
includes a perfectly good partitioning tool that allows you to set up
partitions and mount points pretty much any way you want, and also
allows you to switch to a text console and run 'fdisk' if you need to
rearrange an existing partitioning scheme.  You do have to select
"Create custom layout" in the first partitioning dialog.  The only
problems I've ever run into with the built-in partitioning tool is its
refusal to deal with anomalies such as partitions not in physical disk
order or the use of "limit capacity" jumpers back in the days of disks
larger than what the BIOS would support.

                 Do NOT delete it.