suggested upgrade path from fc8 to fc12 *OR* isolated kernel upgrade from 2.6.23 to 2.6.32

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 7 04:05:06 UTC 2009

sting writes:

> I'm on fedora core 8, and I may have a need to upgrade to the latest, v12,
> because of an issue I'm encountering (described in "some background",
> below, but my main query is here).  Essentially, I'm going to have to
> either upgrade frin fc8 to fc12 or perform an isolated kernel upgrade from
> 2.6.23 to 2.6.32 (that may not be without issues).

Given a choice between trying to built the current kernel and cram it into
such an old distro, versus updating Fedora 8 to Fedora 12, I would choose an
upgrade to Fedora 12, without hesitating.

> 1. If there are any chances that kernel compatibility with certain
> userland tools could be broken (once the kernel is correctly booting, that
> is) given the "large" version jump from 2.6.23 to 2.6.32 (might as well
> update to latest).  For example, would some commands for traffic control
> (tc) not work anymore?

Historically, both the Linux kernel and glibc have a very good track record
for backwards compatibility. However, upgrading the entire distro will, of
course, end up upgrading your tc binary. Whether or not the tc binary in
Fedora 12 is backwards compatible, in all respects, with tc in Fedora 8 is
something that I do not know. You can grab the man page for tc in Fedora 12,
compare it with what you have in Fedora 8, and draw your own conclusions.

> 2. If it actually would be simpler & safer to just upgrade the
> distribution?  (as long as the paths to the various network scripts
> haven't changed, mostly around interfaces, VLANs, etc)

I'm fairly sure that some of these things have changed. And I'm also quite
sure that dealing with that is much easier than dealing with building your
own kernel and cramming it into an older distro.

> In terms of keeping the various tools on the machine compatible with the
> kernel, I am tempted to go with #2.  However, how safe is it to jump
> directly from fedora core 8 to fedora core 12?  I guess most upgrades are
> tested from FC version N to N+1.  I would jump 4 versions directly.

Correct. Such upgrade paths are not tested by anyone. I have, previously,
upgraded from N to N+2 without any issues. I just did it again, upgrading
from F10 to F12 (because I could not upgrade to F11 due to a bug in F11's
anaconda).

Your probability of success depends solely on how well you've cared for your
existing F8 system. If you did not mess with it, if you only installed
software using RPM, and used the system's configuration tools, where
available, or kept manual editing of various config files to a minimum, you
shouldn't have any problems. On the other hand, if you hand-compiled a bunch
of stuff; if you routinely grabbed various random tarballs, and went the
configure/make/make-install route, spraying untracked files and dependencies
all over the filesystem, rather than building proper RPMs, you'll likely to
have a major mess on your hands after an upgrade.

I do recall that, some time ago, there was a major upgrade to the RPM
database format -- a switch to a new major version of the DB back end.
Anaconda, on the upgrade path, took care of converting the old format to the
new one.

I think that happened before F8, but you need to double check. If this
happened in F9, I would suggest piecemeal updates. I'm sure you will still
easily find F9 images to download and install, the after updating to F9
(presuming that's the release that switched to the new RPM DB format), jump
to F12.

In either case, after updating to F12, you will need to run 'updatedb', then
use 'locate' to find all 'rpmsave' and 'rpmnew' configuration files the
upgrade process introduced, then manually reconcile them with the active
configuration files. That should be the extent of the manual effort involved
in upgrading to F12 from an older version.