Re: LBA formatting question ?!?

On 12/07/2009 12:39 PM, William Case wrote:
Hi;

Not a crisis -- I am just futzing about looking at the hardware on my
machine using command line commands.

Is there a way to confirm my hard disks have been formatted with an LBA
(logical block accessing) scheme rather than CHS?  Actually I am pretty
sure they have been.  I was just wondering how I could get a look-see
for future reference.

root]# lshw shows they have extended partitions -- but I was wondering
if there was some other command that definitively specified LBA, CHS, or
whatever else?

"fdisk -l" shows the existing partitioning.  Generally, if you see 255
heads and 63 sectors per track, you've got LBA set up.  If the head and
sector counts are different, you probably have CHS.
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -