Listing obsolete installed packages

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 8 20:45:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 14:14:39 -0600,
  Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'd like to make a list of currently installed packages that are
> not present in any currently enabled repo.  Anyone know a
> straightforward way to do that?

Note that obsolete packages can still be in a repo. They aren't supposed
to be, so if you see any file a bug. package-cleanup --orphans will tell
yo if a particular package version is not in any repo. That is also not
quite what you asked for. It may be that a specific version of a package was
withdrawn (especially if you use updates-testing) or that an update was blocked
due to a dependency issue.

I run systems using rawhide and updates-testing with lots of packages
installed. I look for skipped updates when doing yum update and then run
package-cleanup --orphans to looked or other issues. In some cases the
packages need to be downgraded which you can do easily with yum downgrade
and sometimes they need to be erased. It's probably easier to try downgrades
first. I usually do an update again after doing downgrades in case a package
downgraded too far.