Re: Installing Fedora-12 from USB

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
Gene Heskett <gene heskett verizon net> writes:
What is the rational for demanding that /root be a directory on /, and not a separate partition? See at:

root's home dir has traditionally been / just to ensure that it is alway
present and an emergency login is likely to suceed without error.
Putting it in the rootfs instead of, say a /home partition, is just more
of the same hedging.

Root's home directory is /root for years. I'm too lazy to dig out my remaining V7 system, but I don't think it used / either, I just can't remember, I was doing MULTICS and VMS mostly until SysIII days.

Sure, you might be able to get away with putting root on the non-root
partition when things are working well, but I suspect you'll be cursing
yourself the first time the system coughs up a hairball and can't mount
~root/ and asks you to perform brain surgery on the filesystem.  (I do
have a few aliases for root that makes life nicer and the anacondia
install logs are nice to look at also if one needs to mkfs a trashed fs
with the same format flags and repopulate from the last backup.

If you keep anything vital to system operation in root's home directory you are in a small minority. The filesystem information is in /etc/fstab, if that's gone you're in a rescue disk boot anyway.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>