Re: Installing Fedora-12 from USB

Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com> writes:
> If you keep anything vital to system operation in root's home
> directory you are in a small minority. The filesystem information is
> in /etc/fstab, if that's gone you're in a rescue disk boot anyway.

Depending on what login in the then current instantiation does, it may
or may not even let you log in if home doesn't exist.  If $PATH takes
you to a directory that can't be read because of a failed disk it could
hang you forever (think $HOME/bin).  There may not be anything important
in root's home, but the existence of it itself could be important.

The stuff I keep in /root that would be nice to have access to is notes
mostly and aliases that my fingers expect to have available (like ll
etc).  There are also key remappings to put the keys back to something
resembling a vt100.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3